Sunday, August 3, 2008

It's not a goodbye; it's see you again!





















The weather did not cooperate all day; however, we managed to keep ourselves busy by going to Food World, a local grocery store, to get some ingredients for our party on Saturday. Mom planned to make beef stew, and I planned to make a Thai dish, Mussamun Kai (Chicken drumsticks with red curry) and an apple pie. Mom treated me a wonderful lunch at a local restaurant. We both had Smoked Salmon salad on a bagel (I was dying for a bagel). Then, we came home and went to see Graham play balls. It was very interesting. At first I thought it was like a bowling game, but it turned out to be an indoors lawn balls. Graham did a great job today. He was very happy to see us there to give him a cheer! I knew he would like support, so I had asked Mom to go. He won the game and expecting to play another game next week. After we came home, I started making dinner for them. I made sweet and sour stirred fry with pineapples with nuts on crispy fried fish served with rice! Ummm! Yum!!! They really liked it big time.

On the next day, we did not go any where far since we both really focused on making food and dessert. We did not get them done until later on because we had to get some some more ingredients. Also, Mom wanted to buy me a gift for my birthday. It was very nice of her. I was more than happy to just spend time with them and not a single gift would matter anyway. However, we ended up buying some rings, so they would remind me of them--every day. The weather started to clear up. Today, Dad from the first host family, whom I stayed with for about 3 months when I was an AFS exchange student, stopped by to see me. I thought that I would not have the chance to see him again and would have lost track with the whole family again since we could not find any contacts. Magically, we made a call to the Lawsons in Kaikoura and he turned out to be Dad's Uncle. Thus, we got Nana's number. We talked for a bit and found out that Dad was in Rangiora on business. Anyway, we met each other and got a chance to reunited. It was a touching moment to see Dad again and later that night I talked Mum 1 and Hyden, my host brother who is now 15 and hoping to become a pilot! Dad officially apologized for giving up on me 11 years ago. I had to change a family even though we got along so very well that I became real part of the family. I felt real bad that made him felt very bad after 11 years. Things do happen for a reason, and , in my case, it turned out quite well with 2 wonderful host families at that time and now. Dad felt very guilty then. I was glad we met and caught up with each other again. I respect him as if my real dad since I do not have one. I had never known what it was like to have Dad until I met him! Tonight I made them another Thai dish and we had a visitor for dinner. We had a great time chatting and did not go to bed until almost 11 p.m. I did not want the night to end. Graham spoke a lot tonight and I enjoyed his company big time. I guess the drink he had really did the trick. He said, "You are just too clever!" after I explained the Thai culture to Mom's friend about a problem with her Thai daughter-in-law. I told him, "I came with the whole package, not just a pretty face," then all of us started to laugh.

Finally Saturday had arrived. It's my last morning here in Kaikoura. We had to head back to Rangiora for a birthday party of Graham, Michael and me. Graham and I share the same birthday (July 15) and Michaels was a week later. I was very sad to have to leave, but the good memories still remain. On the way to Rangiora, I had to go to the loo so bad, so I said to Graham, "Please try not to joke around or say anything funny, not that you ever talk, but just in case!" Then, Mom and Graham started laughing since we all knew that Graham does not talk much.

We arrived Rangiora around lunch time. Mom and I attended lunch at Rosemary's house. I stayed with her family for about a month while I was waiting for host family (which was Mom and Graham). They invited me to their beautiful home and catch up with each other. There, I met her, her husband and Victoria. Also, I met with the Wanty's again. We had a great time catching up. I was so blessed to be able to see all of the people that I wished to see. They all were and are very kind to me. Then we visited another family whom I used to spend time fishing and hanging out with when I was in Kaikoara. We came back to Peter's house and started to prepare food and the party. We had so much to eat and drink, especially tonight is the rugby night between the All Blacks and the Wallabies. We stayed up until 1 a.m. The All Blacks lost since they made some many errors.

Anyway, the morning had arrived and I headed to see Nana and Granddad at their house. They were so thankful to see me again after 11 years. They were still the same to me and I was very glad to see them again. Then, I came back to Peter's to have branch and get ready to head to the airport. Graham, Mom, Tessa and Cassie went to see me off at the airport. It was touching to have them their with me. Graham looked sad. He viewed all the photos taken in the past week in Mom's digital camera while I was checking in. It was not a goodbye, I said, it was "see you later!" I could not help but almost tear down. I MISSED THEM ALREADY!

My trip in New Zealand had come to an end as well as my teaching experience in Australia. Judy and her family came to pick me out and took me out to dinner at Sizzler's. They drove me around town for the last time and dropped me off at the airport to catch another plane home to Thailand.

I would like to thank all of the people who helped me made my teaching experience and other things happen. I truly had a great time and learned a whole lot more both in teaching and in life!

No comments: