Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Traffic Jam on a Farm in New Zealand










This morning we walked down to the Rangiara town, and we kind of reminiscing about our past. We met up with Aunt Eileen and Joanna and the baby for Aunt Eileen’s birthday. Mom treated us a coffee and some muffins. The coffee was good and the walk was great with all the places I used to stop after school. We went into Farmers where I used to get my winter pants; then, a Rangiora Bakery store where I loved stopping after school on my way home and buy these donuts with whipped cream in the middle. Donuts here come in rolls and my favorite one was Cinnamon Donut. They are heaven when the cream and cinnamon sauce filling inside. Gee, no wonder why I gained 20 pounds in 6 months while I was there! I bought about 4 of them to bring with me to Judy and John’s house in Kaiapoi on the way to Kaikaora, our home by the beach.

We arrived Judy’s house around lunch time. Everything looked the same as 11 years ago. Judy looked as great as before. As soon as we stepped into the house, I smelt the home-made bread and scorns and the pumpkin soup. Everything was just what the doctor ordered! I enjoyed talking and of course eating so much that I forgot that I still have my donuts. Never mind, my dessert belli was still empty then. Everyone was very careful about what they eat, especially dessert, but they would not hurt much I thought. I was willing to gain a couple of pounds anyway!

Anyway, after all the talk and catch up, John, Graham and I went to the farm to herd the sheep. I jumped right on the truck with a sheep dog. I just could not believe how cool that was to stand on there up on the hills and see the scenery from up top. John kind of got me scared when he drove up the hills and down hills; however, it was so much fun. We had to put a sick sheep up on the truck and we also had a lamb, which was missing a mom, with me. I had to hold the sheep. He must have been eating lots of sweets since he was very antsy in my arms. The sheepdogs did the entire job really and all the sheep got back in their barn. In the barn, there were many bags of wool to be picked up to make clothes. Later on we decided to head to Kaikoura. The weather was spectacular this evening, so it did not take long to get there. It took about an hour to get there. I just could not believe of how wonderful the house is. It has changed a lot since I left 11 years ago. It looks so great and it makes me thought of Eileen’s holiday home in Maryland. The day went by so quickly, but I tried to make every minute count while I am here.

No comments: