Friday, February 13, 2009

Second Language Learners: Thought and Language by Vygotsky

I have to admit that I was and am mesmarised by Vygotsky's doctine concerning second language and learners. Here, I decided to share my thoughts about his statement from the book I read once many years ago, Thought and Language I will certainly spare some time to read his work, as well as Piaget and Health, again and try to read more throughly about their works. This is just a small segment of my reflection.

In the book, it states at the beginning that "Vygotsky made it a point to argue that scientific concepts, far from being assimilated in a ready-made form,actuaslly undergo substantial development, which essentially depends on the existing level of a child's general ability to comprehend concept" (p. xxxiv)

I kind of agree with Vygotsky about understanding the concepts. It is true that scientific concepts (or any concepts that students learn) actually undergo substantial development, which essentially depends on the existing level of a child's general ability. This also reminds me of ESL students who learn second languages. These students would certainly undergo or face a difficulty in developing their second language skills if their own language ability or proficiency is poor.

From my experience as an assistant teacher at IELP, Temple University, I found that one student from Tibet was going through a very hard time learning English. She hardly gained or absurbed anything after 6 months of living in the U.S. I was very curious about why she did not understand any concept we taught in class. Eventially, I found out that she was illiterate in her mother tongue. As a result, she could not transfer her exising knowledge to English. This might perhaps help prove Vygotsky's theory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was thinking if you can help with this questions incorporating Vygotsky's works 'how does teacher intervention support or limit pupils' play and learning'

and

'how does effective questioning contribute to pupils learning'

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

i was thinking if you can help with this questions incorporating Vygotsky's works 'how does teacher intervention support or limit pupils' play and learning'

and

'how does effective questioning contribute to pupils learning'

Thank you.