Friday, October 10, 2008

Rhetorical Pedagogy--Is it suitable for your young student writers?

A reflective writing on teaching pedagogies while I was working on a Master's degree. This on is Rhetorical Pedagogy by William A. Covino.

In a nut shell, it seems like Rhetorical pedagogy focuses on the relationship between the writer, and audience, and the context. In this pedagogy, teachers should have a good rapport with their students and let them ask questions, then the teachers break off instruction.

Kinneaey suggested that "the pedagogy consists in encouraging writing to keep in view the skills and contingencies that attend a variety of situations and circumstances. The current-traditional Rhetoric maintain unity, coherence, correctness as primary virtues, and produces textbook that emphasize four modes of discourse--nation, description, exposition, and argumentation.

In Twentieth-Century, Rhetoric Burke defines Rhetoric as, "The use of language as a symbol means of inducing cooperation in being that by nature respond to symbols." There was a form which must vary with reference to the audience and context to which it appeals. The form was answering questions, who, what, when, where, how. Rhetoric tended to be a science telling facts and truth.

In recent years, the relationship of rhetoric to literature has more fully known as using language to communicate. William Covino has recently called rhetoric "The performance of literacy." Rhetorical pedagogy has a conception as "Rules for successful paragraph." There rules are as follows:
1) Make an outline. List all the detail,
2) Start with a topic sentence,
3) Have an orderly plan,
4) Use transitional words,
5) Develop paragraph by means of examples, facts, statistics, and supporting details for each paragraph.

At any rates, Rhetorical Pedagogy is focused on precepts grammar structure, context and the readers. This pedagogy is more sophisticated than Process pedagogy. I remember struggling with my writing. Rhetorical pedagogy threw me back into my writing during my undergraduate years. I was inundated with all the rules. As a L2 learner myself, I felt so uncomfortable doing so as I had to follow all the rules strictly--I guess that Grammar kind of represents the power of a teacher. Undeniably, I agree that Rhetorical pedagogy is really regimented and beneficial; however, I am not certain if I agree if it's suitable for younger writers.

No comments: