Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The reflection on Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC)

The Pedagogy of Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) by Susan McLead

After I read the chapter, I thought how could be employ this pedagogy successfully in a classroom. I cannot imagine it being employed throughout high-schools or colleges because it needs a lot of collaborations. Don't other teachers think that teaching writing is not their job? And who should be responsible for writing in other disciplines?

According to the chapter, Susan McLead says, "One day I was cornered just outside my office by a friend who taught history, who was furious with me and with (it appeared) not only the English Department but the entire discipline of English. 'Why can't you people teach these students how to write?' he wondered. I was defensive-of course I was teaching them how to write." I started to consider it isn't the responsibility of the history teacher to teach his students in the class how to write a paper in history writing style" Isn't it the history teacher's job to teach students what proper words or sentence structure they should use in the paper? At any rate, I believe that the responsibility of WAC is subject to both teachers. They have to work together as co-workers and decide how they could help their students. I think blaming and tossing the responsibility to the writing teacher is somewhat unfair.

Initially, I thought that writing teacher should teach students who to write well. Teachers should teach students how to write grammatically correct and how to present their paperwork from their own voices. However, after I finished reading the chapter, this pedagogy is really directly beneficial for students. It definitely helps students to ease their writing in any disciplines. It is funny that after I read the chapter, I talked to my friend about it on the next day. She is majoring in Social Science and hate writing for her English class. She said she hated writing because sometimes she handed in her paper for her English class, she got screwed up. she got the paper back with a lot of red marks all over the page. From talking to her, it brought back to the idea of WAC. I don't remember having such problem in my college years because, in Thailand, we teach English as a foreign language. Therefore, all we write is sentences and short paragraph (at least in my University with majoring in English for Business and Communication). I learned only basic English skills and the rest of the program was in Thai.

According to the last paragraph on page 151, "On the contrary, most of us who have been involved in WAC program from the beginning see 'writing to learn' and 'write to communicate' as two complementary, even synergistic approaches to writing across the curriculum." I think that "writing to learn" is the students write for themselves by write journals and "quick write." This helps students and teachers to get a better understanding in terms of communication. The teacher and students will be able to communicate in the same "language." Then, there is another branch in WAC called "writing to communicate" Writing to communicate is to write from the audience by using their former level of their disciplines.

Finally, I have found this chapter was intriguing and extremely helpful for students. I think this is the most effective way for teaching writing method that will definitely benefit students. However, it's lots of work and endeavor. Writing teachers may encourage teachers from other faculties to teach students how to write as well. Overall, I think this pedagogy might be easy to execute in small college and high-schools because it is easier to cooperate with other faculties.

No comments: